Monday 22 February 2010

Reflections

So, I hadn't planned to update the blog for a while, but I got some bad news today.

I shan't go into what it was, because as I said, this blog isn't about me, nor is it an effort to gain sympathy.

However. It's given me a chance to reflect?
This year so far, in fact, the last six months or so, have been a bit of a roller coaster in terms of, well, everything.

But I noticed a few things today.

For a start, there's something incredibly stress relieving about going to the gym.
Turning your music up loud, and listening to the angriest song you can think of, filled with swearing, created by a band who all hate their dads, but love their mums, and are covered in so many tattoos that you can't actually see their skin anymore, whilst running a few KM on the treadmill at a high speed.
Followed by sets of weights 5-10kg heavier than you can usually lift, so that your face goes bright red and you pull a ridiculous face and make a kind've grunt-squeak noise with each rep, as the attractive girl opposite you raises one eye-brow in that sarcastic sort of way, removing any sort of chance you had of sleeping with her.
It hurts. It'll hurt until tommorow night, I'm sure. But damn, does it burn through the emotional pain.

Also, I noticed Apple appear to have put something in those iPod thingies that's made them able to sense your mood?
Hit shuffle on your iPod, and for some reason, the songs that come on, suit your mood perfectly. I'm unsure as to how Mr. Jobs has managed to get them to achieve this trickery, but it's quite clever.
When I'm angry, Metal, Rock, whatever you want to call it plays.
Feeling cocky? Then Rap will flow from your 'pod.
And today, every single sad song I have on there seemed to line itself up for my ears on my walk home from the gym. Wow.

I don't hate life. Days like today are part of the ups and downs of it. I know things like this are on the horizon, and I need to be prepared for them. You can't have the good without the bad. That doesn't make things any less painful, no, but it makes them a bit easier to accept.

2 comments:

  1. Exercise = release of serotonin. Win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. david's comment amuses me. your rant worries me x

    ReplyDelete