Wednesday 17 February 2010

Votes Please

So, I think I'm done with social networking, or at the very least, Facebook?

I'll start from the beginning;

-Girl adds Flausher on Facebook.

-Confused as to her identity, Flausher replies, quite rightly in my opinion, with a simple "Who is this? And if I've forgotten you, apologies..."

-Girl Replies "I saw your comments on a Facebook group, and thought they were funny, so thought I'd add you."

*Thoughts now running through Flausher's head*:
"I don't know this girl, but she seems to think someone making a few supposedly funny comments on Facebook acquits them to being a 'friend.' She has over 1000 of these other supposed 'friends' on here.
Should I use the term 'Facebook Whore'in my reply or is that non-PC and kind've offensive? yehuh. Bad Flausher...
What if she's actually a peadophile?"
(Just typed peadophile into google to double check spelling. Then realised I'd google'd peadophile. Fantastic.)

-Flausher Replies "Sorry, but I don't know you?"
*Nailed it!*

-Girl replies "wow ever heard of being nice to people?"

Flausher, after thinking he's won, is now losing to a 40 year old man in Facebook wars, so replies "Yea. But I don't know you! I try to keep my FB down to people I know is all. I don't mean to sound horrid, sorry if I come across that way, but there's no point me having millions of people on my FB who I don't speak to. I try to keep it to people I'm close to, friends, family, workmates, and so on. "
*Nailed it, for sure this time!*

-Girl replies "Well no one will want to speak to you with that attitude. I also had a question if its ok to fucking speak. In your pictures are you at a beach party"

-Flausher replies "...I'm afraid not?"

-Girl does not reply. I think she just wanted me to accept the damn friend request.

So, with this obsessive craze to get as many friends as possible on Facebook, and with the constant changes to Facebook, while they fail to repair the constant issues that plague it, I'm tempted to just give it up.

The light at the end of the tunnel, of course, is Buzz?
Google's doing Social Networking now. And they seem to do everything better. Search engines. Operating Systems. Browsers. Slides at your workplace. And now this.

Methinks I'll migrate.

But people, what're your opinions of Facebook? do we give up on it just yet?
It's not me disliking the principals, it's the annoyances I'm getting from it. Hopefully Buzz might be better...

1 comment:

  1. Facebook is being taken over by schoolkids and is thus becoming a very annoying phenomena. However, if I were to try and give it, I would lose a lot of contact with... well, everyone. So, I keep it for the giggles and the invites to parties.

    However, that girl sounds like a muppet. I generally don't talk to them, I just ignore.

    As for Buzz - which I struggle to talk about without thinking of the big-chinned "quiz show host" of the same name that we find invading our screens every Christmas or family get together - I think it might kick off, but I do worry about the all pervasiveness of Google. They will run our lives one day...

    ReplyDelete